Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Brexit Lies - a farmer's story

Brexit is already having an effect on farmers here in South Leicestershire, one local dairy farmer told us earlier this month.


"Mine is a small business with a moderate turnover and currently no profits. I pay little tax but I do provide two and half jobs. I also pay several thousand pounds a month to other businesses for goods and services. My business therefore has a value to the wider community. But its future in threatened by Brexit. 
"I have come to rely on labour from Eastern Europe because British people prepared to milk cows are an increasingly rare commodity. My experience is repeated across the industry. Over 60% of staff on dairy forms in the UK are Eastern European. My Romanian employee has already left because the fall in the value of the pound has effectively lowered his wages.
 "The likely effects of Brexit are being downplayed to the public. Agricultural commodities are priced in US dollars. My costs have therefore risen by 15%. Dairy farming is not profitable enough to absorb the extra cost and the consumer will inevitably suffer. If we get to the stage of actually leaving the EU I believe the inflationary effect on food prices will increase dramatically.

"The referendum campaign was scandalous. Those who voted Leave were sold a lie."

No comments:

Post a Comment